Teacher Previews & Professional Development
From time to time the Art Gallery of Western Australia arranges special Teacher Previews of our exhibitions and other events. Teacher Previews are held at the Gallery, unless otherwise stated.
Treasure Ships: Art in the Age of Spices
A cross-curricular Teacher professional Learning Afternoon
presented by AGWA, DOE and AISWA
Treasure Ships presents a wonderful opportunity to address a number of areas of the curriculum through engaging with real historical objects and artefacts produced for global markets in the era of the spice trade across the Indian Ocean. This workshop will show you how! Think… journeys, explorers, migration, first contacts with Indigenous Australians, Asian powers, cross-cultural contacts and more.
During this workshop you will:
• Examine the themes and key concepts of the exhibition that include discovery, exploration, maritime history, cause and effect, perspectives, significance and life at sea.
• Look at the way the content of the exhibition addresses a number of curriculum learning areas.
• Discover ways that the cross-curriculum priorities Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and histories and Asia and Australia’s engagement with Asia are covered in this exhibition.
• Participate in a hands-on practical activity, transferrable to the classroom, linking Visual Arts making with other Learning Areas of the curriculum.
• Look closely at the comprehensive Treasure Ships Education Resource and how it can complement classroom learning as well as an exhibition visit.
Where: Art Gallery of WA
When: Friday 11 September 2015
Cost: $45 (workshop materials and lunch included)
More information and bookings
To find out more about Teacher Previews or about our education program,
please contact Sue Way, Bookings Officer.
Tel. +61 8 94926644
Fax +61 8 9492 6648.