AGWA’s passionate Voluntary Gallery Guides bring the Gallery’s varied Collection to life through free guided tours. As a Voluntary Gallery Guide you will inspire creativity and stimulate conversations with education audiences and our daily visitors.
As an AGWA Guide you will receive:
- Invaluable experience working within one of Western Australia’s most significant cultural institutions in a collegial and welcoming group.
- Opportunities to develop new skills related to the arts industry.
- Regular opportunities to look at, learn about and talk about art with a wonderful group of
- like-minded people.
- Free entry into all paid exhibitions at the Art Gallery of WA.
- Occasional discounted or complimentary invitations to arts activities and events in Perth.
- 15% discount at the Gallery Shop (excluding catalogues).
- A great feeling that you are contributing to the cultural health and wellbeing of our community.
The ideal Guide will have:
- A good grasp of spoken and written English is desirable. We welcome applicants whose second language is English.
- Proficiency in a second language, including AUSLAN, is valuable but not required. We provide scheduled tours in languages other than English when possible.
- The ability to communicate effectively with others, especially school-aged children, in a friendly and engaging manner.
- A keen interest in the visual arts and a desire to expand one's knowledge and interact with art of different genres.
- The ability to research, interpret and absorb new information and to order material in a logical manner.
- The ability to commit to the time required for initial training and, once qualified, to carry out the duties required of a Guide
As a Voluntary Gallery Guide, you will:
- Maintain our exceptional standard of customer service to visitors, ensuring that everyone has an enjoyable experience at the Gallery.
- Embody AGWA’s values both inside and outside the Gallery by upholding the Code of Conduct.
- Show your support through advocacy of the Exhibition and Guiding programs.
- Participate in the training program for Gallery Guides at AGWA. Training runs fortnightly, Friday mornings, from 31 January to October, 2020.
- Research and share information with your fellow Guides about artworks in the State Art Collection and temporary exhibitions.
- Grow your knowledge and understanding of visual arts through attendance of fortnightly professional development meetings.
- Collaborate with your peers to research and prepare for exhibitions.
- Research, plan and conduct tours, starting with tours for primary school students.
- Time commitment for Gallery Guides is approximately 8 hours per week, but this can vary from time to time.
Gallery Guide requirements:
- Complete the Training Program for Voluntary Gallery Guides.
- Attend regular fortnightly Professional Development meetings.
- Engage in extra training provided by the Gallery for special exhibitions.
- Upon graduating from the Training Program, research, plan and conduct a minimum of 28 tours per year, starting with tours for primary school students who visit the Gallery on weekdays during school term time.
- Comply with AGWA’s Code of Conduct and other policies.
- Be able to hold a Working with Children Card and if requested, pass a National Police Clearance. (AGWA will assist with submitting these clearances for any volunteer who does not have one.)
Applications for 2024
The next training will be in 2024. Please send a CV, together with a covering letter outlining why you believe you should be considered for the AGWA Guide traineeship to firstname.lastname@example.org